Sunday, November 4, 2012

The All at Once Skirt

oliveskirt1

       In a never ending quest to build my wardrobe piece by piece I present you with another separate...another skirt, Simplicity 2451.  I bought this olive cotton sateen specifically to fit with what I already have in my closet. I think it goes well with what I have and will go well with what I have planned.

oliveskirt3

       I made view D. Not much to say here about the pattern. I cut out my typical size 12 out of  less than 2 yards of the sateen and made no major alterations. It sewed up quick, only about 4 hours from start to finish, including hand hemming. This skirt is super short, for me anyway. Can't be flashing cheek when wiping a runny nose! To keep this as long as possible I skipped the suggested 1.25' and used some fuschia lace hem tape to turn it up a scant .25" instead. It probably would have looked better a bit shorter, don't ya think? Oh well, modesty trumps fashion here.

oliveskirt2

    I had a good laugh thinking about me 10 years ago. If 20 year old Jamie could talk to 30 year old Jamie she would be shocked at the lack of cleavage and leg and vanity in general. Age and children have made me less judgemental, a bit more humble and wow....modest. Well, maybe not MODEST, but I'm certainly wearing much more clothing than I did when I was training to be a professional wrestler a decade ago. Yes you read that right. Moving along....

oliveskirt5

oliveskirt4

  Funny story about these pictures. When I went to photograph this yesterday I had just come back from my local yarn store (where I spent way too much $$...oops) and since I was all dressed up I figured I would take some pictures. When I got back inside and uploaded everything I decided I didn't really like the brown boots with the whole ensemble. It was a "what was I thinking?!" moment. Plus, my everyday makeup didn't show up well on camera, I hadn't really styled my hair and the skirt was wrinkled. I went out again today and wore the same outfit but this time with different shoes. I went shopping with my girls and so this is what I look like after 3 hours of shopping that included 1 MAJOR meltdown courtesy of my 6 years old. My skirt was even more wrinkled than before and suddenly the pictures that I didn't like so much from yesterday look much better by today's standards. Days like today make me wonder when I became so old?? Yikes!

oliveskirt7

 I had a small struggle when I picked this pattern up because it's not really my "normal" style. I don't know what I would call my normal style but I think that I gravitate towards retro inspired, whimsical clothing however I still have a love for the grunge/punk/90's style of my adolescence. This skirt is fairly modern and maybe a little matronly which is something I dread gravitating towards as I get older. I finally decided, what the heck. If I like it, I like it. End of story, right? Plus, I think it can be styled to look more "alternative" than soccer mom. ha. 

 This skirt is named after a song by one of my favorite bands, The Airborne Toxic Event's song, All at Once. It's a gorgeous song about life in general and the changes we go through...and how suddenly they hit us. "In the gut". Felt appropriate for this.


11 comments:

Stevie said...

Beautiful skirt! Its lovely in a muted tone, makes it really wearable, I think all of your photos look great, plus training to be a wrestler? Hugely awesome! :P x

Melizza Makes said...

I love the skirt. It looks great paired with the scarf and blouse. I totally need to make this skirt again! It's such a flattering garment to have in your wardrobe.

Shannon said...

It looks great! Green is my favorite color. I started this skirt last year and sadly it still sits in my UFO pile. I like the brown boots with it too.

Crystal said...

I love it! I am a fan of this pattern and hope to make it up myself this fall. I think the sateen I stashed away is either grey or olive green!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love it. Just stumbled on your blog from your Pattern Review of Vogue 8812 a few months ago and had to see what you were up to most recently. I just bought this pattern myself (this morning, in fact) and I had to chuckle a little bit because I feel like I'm going through the same thing with my wardrobe. My feet hurt just thinking about the shoes I used to wear in my 20s, and I kind of want to go back in time and offer myself a sweater or something. Cover those/that up! Right?! Hilarious how we change as we grow.

Anyway, it looks great. Love the boots, love the color, love the scarf. Bravo, (not soccer) mom!

Jamie said...

Thanks Stevie! Thankfully not many pictures exist of my wrestling era to document the lack of clothing and all around horrendous fashion choices. ;)

Jamie said...

Thanks Mela! I think it's really versatile, I want to make one in a print also. I can picture this being an adorable maternity skirt ;)

Jamie said...

Thanks! I like the brown boots now better than I did the first day. I don't know WTH I was thinking. I'm just indecisive I guess. ha!

Jamie said...

Oh, I have some grey sateen, also! I don't know what I want to make out of it. I guess great minds think alike, heehee. :)

Jamie said...

Well thank you very much!
It is funny, I'm almost embarrassed to show my kids some of the pictures that are floating around of me. I guess they can be used as ammo against my daughters when they hit their teens, "See these?! You think you look great now, but someday you'll just be another older woman with pictures like THIS haunting you!!!" Haha!

Barbara Konkle said...

I love the skirt! So cute! I had no idea you trained to be a wrestler!? WOW! I love the olive btw! I hear ya on the clothes! I see myself getting older and how much my style has changed. As long as I do not completely lose myself I should be okay! :-)

Post a Comment