Saturday, October 18, 2014

My Mabel



So...I'm alive. Yup, I'm still around even though I haven't been around here much. Life. It's not hectic, it's just happening and it just doesn't stop, does it?

I have not given up making clothes. Actually, I still make them reguarly but here's the thing, I have almost exclusively worked with knits for a year now. I realized a while ago that while I love to sew with woven fabrics, garments made from these fabrics just don't have a place in my life. I have a closet filled with beautiful clothes that I've carefully crafted....and they never get worn.

No, my life isn't fancy, it's practical and knits are practical. Also, knits are forgiving. If I want a tshirt like the one I'm wearing, I just take off said tshirt and trace it. Voila, new t shirt! I love it, instant gratification.




My newfound love for knits had me super excited for Colette Patterns new knit pattern line. I know I'm late to the party but I finally decided to give Mabel a try.

I was hesitant to purchase this particular pattern because I wasn't sure if it would be flattering but after seeing it modeled on so many different shapes and sizes, I was convinced I could pull it off.

I'm sure it's already been discussed all over the blogosphere just how darn EASY this thing is to sew up. It took me not even an hour.



  I underlined it with some kind of nude knit that a friend gave me,which I think it was intended to be used as a liner. It added some body to the skirt which feels like it gives me a small amount of support and keeps things being visible through the light colored fabric. Speaking of fabric, this only took about half a yard of the yard I purchased from Girl Charlee. I'm pretty sure I have enough left over to make another one. I'm going to go find the most gorgeous knit fabric I can find and buy one yard of it. Even if it's pricey, it'll be affordable!



In hindsight, I wish I hadn't cut the waistband the way I did. I thought it would look cute but it's driving my eye crazy looking at it. Oh well.

As far as the fit is concerned, it fits well. I cute a size M, my only complaint is that where the waistband sits, kind of floating around a belly button that is on a belly that grew 4 babies,\ is not the most flattering for me. I would have preferred either a high waistet skirt or for it to be worn lower on my hips. Any tips on altering it to fit?


I've been out of blog mode for so long, I forgot how to take pictures for blog! I was looking through the shots thinking, "These are horrible! What was I doing? Why didn't I photograph the right side? Why am I making that face? This shirt looks horrible, what was I thinking? Damn, my legs are white, should I photoshop a tan onto those? At least my hair looks nice...."


I promise not to be gone for so long!


3 comments:

Melizza Makes said...

I'll be late to the Mabel party as well. I just got this pattern in the mail yesterday.

Your version looks great and comfy. Love that cardigan!

Sue said...

Yay, I'm glad to see you back blogging and I LOVE THIS SKIRT.

Amanda said...

Welcome back, rockstar! This is a super rad make :D

Post a Comment